Filipino-American supporters of Hillary Clinton.  (Filipino Reporter file photo)

ON Nov. 8, continuing with its time-honored democratic tradition of secret voting, not by ballots, but by computers, Americans will elect their next President.  

The contest is between former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton of the Democratic Party and businessman Donald J. Trump, Republican Party.

Both are from New York.

This peaceful transfer of power every four years is a hallmark of American democracy.

In the political discourse during the campaign, the Philippines has been prominently mentioned three times.

One: in August, candidate Trump falsely declared that the Philippines was a terrorist nation and that Filipinos should be banned from entering the United States.

The above was the equivalent of President Duterte’s careless and unnecessary declaration made in Beijing during his visit last week that he was cutting-off or separating from the United States, militarily and economically.

Both demonstrated to the world their political naivete or ignorance in respect of the 70-year friendly relations that bind both countries.

Two: in September, after President Duterte cursed the President of the United States, the White House cancelled a scheduled meeting between the Philippines and U.S. President in Laos as a rebuke to the badmouth PH President.

Hillary Clinton supported publicly the decision of President Obama not to meet with Mr. Duterte.

Three: last week, Donald Trump branded the Democratic President as weak, “resulting in the veering away of the Philippine President from the U.S.”

One Filipino-American observer accurately said, “It is unfortunate that Donald Trump politicized something he seemed to be ignorant and lacked knowledge.”

Even the Philippine President, who unilaterally made the decision to separate from the U.S., was obviously unaware of the consequences of what he did being an amateur and inexperienced diplomat.

So, President Obama should not be blamed for the ignorance of others.

Candidate Trump, in his usual sweeping generalization pattern of talking, injected a disturbing element in the noble tradition among Americans of electing their leaders in a peaceful and orderly manner.

Mr. Trump has been insisting falsely, apparently in anticipation of defeat as a convenient excuse to supporters, that “millions of people who are not eligible to vote are registered voters and will presumably vote for his opponent.”

Apparently, many Americans had been turned off by the Trump claim.

Mrs. Clinton has a 12-point advantage over Donald Trump, according to a new ABC News/Washington Post poll.

The poll, released Sunday, shows Clinton in the lead with 50 percent, compared to Trump’s 38.

According to a latest AOL survey, Mrs. Clinton has 91 percent chance of winning, as against 9 percent for Donald Trump.

Who will be the next President?

We predict the next President of the United States is a woman, Hillary Clinton.