Potpourri

sibal.photo


WIDELY used statin drugs are the most effective drugs for preventing heart attacks and strokes - since they can lower low-density (LDL, “bad”) cholesterol by upwards of 50 percent - but statins can cause side effects significant enough to prompt some patients to stop taking them, says the June 2014 issue of the Cleveland Clinic Men’s Health Advisor.

sibal.photo


WHILE excess fat and salt are well-known dietary villains, especially when it comes to heart health, mounting evidence suggests that a sugar-laden diet may raise your risk of dying of heart disease - even if you aren’t overweight, says the June 2014 issue of the Harvard Medical School Harvard Heart Letter.

sibal.photo


AS you age, giving more consideration to safety factors in your home and satisfying your changing needs will help you live there longer, says the May 2014 issue of the Harvard Medical School’s Harvard Health Letter.

sibal.photo


WHILE we’ll wear glasses to read the newspaper and take NSAIDs to ease our joint pain, many of us are reluctant to wear the hearing aids that can tune us in to the sounds we’re missing - only 25 percent of the people who need hearing aids actually own them, which means the other 75 percent could be working too hard to hear, and missing out on much of the world around them as a result, says the April 2014 issue of the Harvard Medical School Harvard Women’s Health Watch.

sibal.photo


AS you age, you may realize the time you could drift off to sleep and remain in a state of fitful slumber well past breakfast the next day is over - and now your sleep is likely to be lighter and more fitful, leaving you not always feeling refreshed when you wake up the next morning, says the February 2014 issue of the Harvard Medical School Harvard Women’s Health Watch.

Latest comments