TRENTON — Jonathan Nyce, the Hopewell Township research scientist convicted of beating his Filipino wife to death then staging her murder as a car accident in 2004, has been released from prison and says he’s written a book that will prove his innocence.

After five years of incarceration, the 60-year-old father of three walked out of prison on Dec. 5 and has returned to his parents’ home in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, where he was reunited with his children, according to the Times of Trenton.

“It was a tearful reunion,” Nyce told the Times in an interview on Dec. 15. “We can’t get enough of each other.”

The pharmaceutical executive, who insists someone else killed his wife of 12 years, said he’s glad to be out in time to spend Christmas with his children Alex, 18, Trevor, 17, and Samantha, 12, who lived with Nyce’s brother during his incarceration at South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton.

“I can’t believe it. It’s wonderful spending time with my kids,” he said. “My favorite thing to do is homework with them.”

In July 2005, Nyce was convicted of killing his 34-year-old wife Michelle Rivera Nyce in a jealous rage when she returned from a lover’s tryst with a Puerto Rican man hired to landscape the couple’s $1 million home.

Prosecutors said Nyce bashed in his wife’s head by repeatedly smashing it into the concrete floor of the garage of their Hopewell Township home after she came home at 2 a.m.

He then propped her lifeless body behind the wheel of her SUV and sent it careening down an embankment into the nearby Jacobs Creek in an attempt to disguise her death as a car accident.

In September 2005, he was sentenced to eight years in prison and ordered to spend at least five years and 11 months behind bars before becoming eligible for parole.

Last month, Nyce “maxed out” of his sentence after prison officials knocked off time for the days he spent in jail before his sentencing and for his good behavior behind bars, corrections officials told the Times.

“He served his sentence,” said Deirdre Fedkenheuer, a spokeswoman for the Department of Corrections. “He was not paroled.”

Under the terms of his sentence, Nyce will be under parole supervision in Pennsylvania for three years, Fedkenheuer said.

After the holidays, followed by a family vacation, Nyce plans to continue his legal battle to overturn his conviction.

Meanwhile, he says a book he’s written will convince the court of public opinion of his innocence.

Nyce twice appealed his conviction, but the state Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court both denied the appeals.

Michelle Rivera Nyce was a native of Orion, Bataan, and worked as a beauty consultant at Macy’s at the time of her death.




Add comment

Security code

Latest comments