gurfinkel new photo thumb medium115 157

Recently, a person came to my office for consultation after her adjustment of status application (based on marriage to a US citizen) was denied due to fraud.


gurfinkel new photo thumb medium115 157

Recently, a woman consulted with me about her brother’s immigration situation.  Years ago, their father petitioned both of them while their father was still an immigrant.  The father later naturalized, resulting in their petitions being “automatically converted” from single adult child of immigrant (F-2B) to single adult child of US citizen (F-1).

When a person is placed in removal/deportation, they typically go in front of the immigration judge (IJ) to demonstrate why they should not be deported or removed, such as they are immediately eligible for a green card (through an approved petition by a citizen spouse, or other petition with a current priority date), they are entitled to some form of waiver, etc.

Dear Atty. Gurfinkel: I am out of status, but my employer filed a labor certification for me in 2006. The I-140 petition was approved, and the priority date is now current. I want to file for adjustment of status and get work authorization right away, but am being told I need to wait for an amnesty. What can’t I file for adjustment now, since my priority is already current?

Latest comments