pacquiao.nothing

“Nothing can stop that,” Manny Pacquiao said from General Santos City.  (Photo by KJ Rosales)


MANILA — Manny Pacquiao reiterated that his title showdown with Argentina’s Lucas Matthysse will push through at the 15,000-seat Axiata Arena in Kuala Lumpur on July 15.

“Nothing can stop that,” he said from General Santos City.

Apprehensions have been raised over the fight being either postponed or called off after MP Promotions failed to meet some financial deadlines.

But Pacquiao continued to shrug them off, saying he’s focused on training for his first fight since his bitter loss to Australia’s Jeff Horn in July last year.

Pacquiao, the richest Filipino athlete ever, said making money is not the only reason why he decided to promote his own fight this time.

He said the card, dubbed “Fight of Champions,” is not all about the money.

“As long as I can provide jobs to those who work for MP Promotions and give decent and appropriate pay to boxers fighting in the undercard, I will be very happy,” he said through his information officer, Aquiles Zonio.

“That’s what I believe in business with morality. Self-fulfillment and helping others are more important to me than money,” Pacquiao said.

The fight is three weeks away, and Pacquiao’s training is in high gear.

Matthysse, the reigning WBA welterweight champion, is also deep in training in California, and plans to fly to Kuala Lumpur two weeks before the fight.

Pacquiao and his huge entourage are scheduled to leave for the Malaysian capital on July 9.

“The fight will proceed as scheduled. I am training hard for the fight and I never allow any distraction to destroy my focus,” said Pacquiao.